2 Timothy 1:7

2 Timothy 1:7
"For I have not given you a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind"

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

It's The Little Things...

I love this time change! I look forward to waking up to the early sunlight! As my eyes adjust from sleep to life, I stumble out of bed. I love the early morning glow, and the peace that abides in the sunrise. I fight so hard to get up to enjoy this time, and although I long for it I find myself fighting it daily. It is so easy to hit snooze one more time, and get up in a hurry.

There truly is a peace in sitting outside before the rest of the house is stirring. Sipping coffee on the front porch, admiring God's artwork. This quiet time with the Father is like a drenching water to my dry-worn out mind. Daily tasks pull so much out of us, not in a bad sense, just in a realistic one. Setting aside time every day where you can really connect is so important. I talk to God, I listen for Him....I just sit in His presence. Really, it's better than coffee alone. Starting my day with coffee and Jesus, it just doesn't get any better.

The stillness and peace that I find in the early morning hours cannot be compared to anything. It gives me time to feel the cool breeze against my skin, and the goosebumps that rise from the chill. The sweet smell of a new day fills the surrounding atmosphere with an intoxicating scent. In this I think of the daily renewed mercy and grace freely given to me. I notice the little things that I do not see or think of any other time of the day. The sound of the birds shouting their declaration of praise rings in my ears, such a pristine song they sing. Watching the squirrels play with one another, running up and down the tree. I find such serenity in all of this.

I often leave pennies on the table for my five year old. I do not tell him they are there, he finds them and grabs them with the biggest grin on his face. My seven year old loves fruit roll ups, I occasionally sneak a box into the house and randomly give him a pack for lunch. We never talk about these little things, but I know that they could be in the worst mood, and one of these little gestures can turn their day around. In the minds of my children these things are just there, they have no idea that I placed them there only to see them smile. They do not realize that there was thought behind it, that the gifts were tailored to their personalities and desires. They do not know that I prayed for them when I hid a surprise in their path.

When I really think about my morning Daddy Daughter date with the King, I correlate the little things that bless me with the little things I leave for my kids. It isn't anything huge. It isn't anything anybody else would even notice as a "gift", but things that just make me grin. I love squirrels, I know it's weird, they are a dime a dozen in Ohio. When I wake up in the morning I am a hot mess, I'm cranky and totally not a morning person! But when I step outside and see the squirrels playing or gaze into the masterpiece of a sunrise, I thank God for drawing my attention to such things. My thinking becomes clearer-my mood lightens-soon I'm praying-soon I'm praising. In this time I see God's blessings trickle like rain over my life. I take time to notice the small things.

It isn't long before I wake everyone up, make lunches, argue about the morning routine, half-way put myself together for work (attempting to look a little better than homeless). It is not long before the enemy sneaks in, my attitude tries to change, anger tries to take root. Things get crazy fast, but I have that peace digesting in my soul. It is God's gift to me for giving Him the first fruits of my day. I am not perfect. I do not do this everyday, but God is beckoning me to make Him a part of my morning routine.

Do you spend daily time with God? How do you set time aside each day?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete