2 Timothy 1:7

2 Timothy 1:7
"For I have not given you a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind"

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Roots

We took our evening walk tonight, as usual. I love this time of year so much. The air is crisp and the leaves are beginning to change. The sound of crunching leaves under the boys feet is musical. Ramsay decided to give us a science lesson about trees as we walked around the town. He shared that the roots are very important because they take in all the nutrients for the tree. He was "teaching" us that if the tree didn't have good deep roots, then it wouldn't have green leaves. He said that when we get a lot of rain the roots suck up as much as they can so that when it doesn't rain the roots hold enough water to sustain the tree. Of course this is the condensed version of what he told us, simply because I would like to be in bed before ten tonight :) This got me to thinking about our spiritual roots. What Ramsay said this evening was so profound. It is important to have ourselves so deeply rooted in Christ that when we go through a drought, our roots can sustain us. In order for us to "water" our roots, we have to dig into the Word of God. We have to spend time praying and fasting. We have to commune with God. If I never spent time with my husband we would have a relationship that is barely touching the surface. We make it a point to spend time together though, we talk and date and get to know one another (yes, even after ten years! We are both changing all the time!) I would say that we have a deep rooted relationship. It takes work though. It takes selflessness. These same qualities should show up in our relationship with God. As God showed me earlier this week, he longs for us to draw close to him. My prayer is for God to just let it rain. Let his presence rain and soak up my roots. The thing is, when roots are healthy and get enough water, they grow deeper. Thank you my little Ramsay for your wisdom and insight, you teach me more every day than I could have ever imagined. Let it rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment